With each passing day, more victims are coming forward after years of suppressing sexual misconducts to expose their perpetrators to public scrutiny.
The most recent bombshell report is from pop star Melissa Schuman.
She just posted to her personal blog an unwanted sexual encounter with Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys.
Schuman titled the piece, “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody.”
I am about to share something that I’ve wanted to pretend never happened since I was 18. A burden I thought I’d have to carry for the rest of my life and suffer in silence.
For those who do read this story, I know will ask, like any other victim of rape or assault, why I never came forward earlier. And the truth is, I tried.
A short amount of time passed after the incident, I confided in my then manager, Nils Larsen, that I wanted to come forward. He heard me out and said he would do some investigation and would try to find me a good attorney as I intended to press charges.
He later informed me that my abuser, who’s name I will disclose later in this article, had the most powerful litigator in the country.
— Advertisement —
He was right. I didn’t have the money, the clout or access to an attorney who was powerful enough to stand up against my abuser’s legal counsel. I was told I would likely be buried in humiliation, accused of being fame hungry, and it would ultimately hurt me professionally as well as publicly.
I was focused on building a career and name for myself at the time and I didn’t want what he did to further affect my life and future.
As reported by Bizpac Review:
In a post published on her personal blog, Schuman explains the alleged incident took place around the time the two were working on the made-for-TV movie The Hollow.
Schuman describes Carter as having been friendly and “charismatic.” The boy band star invited the singer to his apartment. She brought a friend along, but Schuman followed Carter to his office, where he said he would show her his new music.
Then, things took a turn for the worse.
She concluded her post hoping to inspire others to come forward:
I certainly don’t want to be “known” for this. I never wanted anybody to know about my story. I wanted to lock it in a box in my mind and let the memories slowly suffocate as time went on.
I feel I have an obligation now to come forward with the hope and intention to inspire and encourage other victims to tell their story. We are stronger in numbers. If you are reading this and you have been assaulted, know you don’t have to be silent and you are not alone. I know it’s scary. I’m scared.
I believe you. I stand with you and together I hope we can bring light to things that have been lost in the darkness for so long.
The detailed account includes some graphic imagery and can be viewed in full here.
Carter responded to the allegations, per People:
Schuman, now 33, detailed the alleged incident on her personal blog earlier this month, alleging that Carter had raped her when she was 18 and he was 22.
Carter, now 37, responded to the allegations in an exclusive statement to PEOPLE Wednesday.
“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally,” the Backstreet Boy said.
“This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”