Spacey Faces New Wave Of Allegations From “House Of Cards” Employees, Say Spacey Exploited His Status

After actor Anthony Rapp initially came forward against Hollywood producer Kevin Spacey with sexual harassment allegations, several others have come forward.

Although Rapp brought to light an incident which took place many years ago, while Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26, the new allegations have been brought forward by employees of Spacey’s current show Netflix’s “House of Cards.”

Per the Hill:

CNN reported Thursday that eight people working for or who previously worked for Spacey’s Netflix show described a “toxic” work environment created by the actor, who one of the sources said sexually assaulted him during an early season of the show. All eight sources remained anonymous for fear of retribution.

One of the people who came forward says the Hollywood producer routinely exhibits “predatory behavior.”

He also said Spacey intentionally exploits his “status and position”:

— Advertisement —

One source, a former production assistant, described an encounter with Spacey in which the actor “cornered him” and initiated unwanted contact.

“I told him, ‘I don’t think I’m ok with this, I don’t think I’m comfortable with this,'” the former assistant said, according to CNN, adding Spacey grew “visibly flustered” and fled the trailer, leaving the production for the remainder of the day.

“I was in a state of shock,” he said. “He was a man in a very powerful position on the show and I was someone very low on the totem pole and on the food chain there.”

The same former assistant described Spacey’s behavior as both “predatory” and “routine.”

“I have no doubt that this type of predatory behavior was routine for him and that my experience was one of many and that Kevin had few if any qualms about exploiting his status and position,” he added. “It was a toxic environment for young men who had to interact with him at all in the crew, cast, background actors.”

Netflix released a statement that addressed an earlier incident in light of the new allegations:

“Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly,” the statement said. “On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn’t scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set. We continue to collaborate with MRC and other production partners to maintain a safe and respectful working environment. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the production, and have nothing further to share at this time.”

Production for “House of Cards” has been suspended and the International Emmy Awards announced they would be rescinding Spacey’s award:

They tweeted, “The International Academy has announced that in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 Intl Emmy Founders Award”