A top U.S. military official said on Monday that the total defeat of ISIS could be mere weeks in the future, according to Fox News.
U.S. Central Command General Joseph Votel made his remarks while speaking to Jordan’s National Defense School.
Check it out:
“The timeline for the military defeat of ISIS can now be measured in weeks,” Votel said, though he cautioned there is still “very tough fighting” going on in the Middle Euphrates River Valley.
As Fox News reported, the terrorist group has lost 98 percent of the land it once held — with half of ISIS’ so-called “caliphate” having been recaptured since President Trump took office.
The gains that led to Votel’s rosy assessment came after changes in the rules of engagement, instituted over the last year.
“The rules of engagement under the Obama administration were onerous. I mean what are we doing having individual target determination being conducted in the White House, which in some cases adds weeks and weeks,” retired Air Force Lt. Gen. David Deptula, the former head of U.S. Air Force intelligence, told Fox News. “The limitations that were put on actually resulted in greater civilian casualties.”
It’s a different story, however, to discuss what comes next once ISIS is wiped out of Syria for good.
ISIS still uses social media as a powerful recruitment tool to conduct terror attacks elsewhere in the world.
American officials have warned previously that a complete defeat of ISIS worldwide won’t happen anytime soon.
— Advertisement —