City Council Approves Proposal To Remove Trump’s Hollywood Star

The city council in West Hollywood has recently approved of a proposal to have President Trump’s Hollywood star removed – permanently.

Their reason? Because people keep vandalizing it and holding anti-Trump demonstrations around it.

So, rather than simply telling their citizens to obey the law and be civil, the city is going to remove Trump’s presence from the iconic Walk of Fame.

Per ABC News:

The city of West Hollywood approved a proposal to remove President Donald Trump‘s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Monday, citing recent costly vandalism and recent demonstrations around the star.

West Hollywood’s five-member city council passed the measure unanimously on Monday evening, allowing it to move forward with a request to remove the star, which has been vandalized several times since Trump took office last year.

According to the report, there are some more roadblocks the proposal must go through before the star is removed:

It now plans to send a formal letter to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, the Los Angeles City Council and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for consideration. The Chamber of Commerce would have the final say in removing the star.

— Advertisement —

The originators of the proposal, West Hollywood council members John D’Amico and Lindsey Horvath, said Trump’s treatment of women and views on climate change should be the reason the star is removed.

“Similar to how certain members of the entertainment community have been removed from the Academy of Motion Pictures, due to their actions toward women, reflecting a stance on their values by the Academy, this is an opportunity for decision-makers to take a stand on their values in support of women and against disturbing treatment of women,” the West Hollywood City Council said, per ABC News.

It should be noted the Hollywood stars of Kevin Spacey and Bill Cosby, among others, are still on the Walk of Fame.

Here’s more, from Associated Press:

However, chamber president Leron Gubler tells the Los Angeles Times the chamber has never removed a star because it’s considered part of the walk’s “historic fabric.”

Monday’s vote came after a man accused of taking a pickax to the star last month was charged with a felony count of vandalism. The star was previously vandalized days before the November 2016 election.

It has been repaired.

The star recognized Trump for his work on the TV reality show “The Apprentice.”

The man who smashed the star last month, 24-year-old Austin Clay, called the police himself and turned himself into a police station, Fox News reports:

After allegedly smashing the star, Clay “called police and advised he had vandalized Donald Trump’s star and basically called on himself and said, ‘See you soon,'” Lt. Karen Leong, of the LAPD, told the Los Angeles Times.

Clay faces a maximum sentence of three years in jail if convicted. He was initially booked on suspicion of felony vandalism and his bail was set at $20,000.

James Otis, the man who allegedly smashed Trump’s star days before the 2016 election day, told TMZ last month he was going to cover Clay’s bail and planned to meet him in person as soon as he was released.

Otis pleaded no contest to the felony, and was sentenced to community labor and ordered to pay $4,000 for the damage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here