BREAKING NEWS: Trump Says Meeting With Kim Jong-Un Most Likely Won’t Happen In June

It is being reported that, following months of anticipation, the meeting between United States President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un may not happen in June.

While the meeting was slated to take place in three weeks in Singapore, Reuters reports Trump says there’s a good chance it will no longer happen.

The announcement followed a meeting on Tuesday between Trump South Korean President Moon Jae-in. The South Korea leader came to the U.S. to meet with Trump over concerns he reportedly had over the North Korean summit.

Per ABC News:

Just three weeks before a planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, President Donald Trump is hosting South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in on Tuesday for talks as they work to assess whether North Korea’s commitment to rid itself of its nuclear program is genuine.

Moon has long been a driving force behind the diplomacy between the United States and North Korea, and personally encouraged Trump to meet with Kim. In March, Moon sent special envoys to North Korea to encourage talks between Pyongyang and Washington.

According to the report, North Korea recently threatened to pull out of the peace talks:

Last week, North Korea scrapped a series of follow up high-level talks with South Korea and threatened to cancel the upcoming Singapore summit between Trump and Kim in protest of the ongoing military drills between the United States and South Korea.

— Advertisement —

The White House hasn’t indicated there will be a press conference between Trump and Moon, but this will be the first time the two are able to meet in person to discuss the status of the summit between Trump and Kim, and examine what options are on the table. While the two have spoken over the phone, it will also be their first meeting in person to discuss Moon’s recent summit with Kim.

Regardless of the cancellation threats and the presumed postponement, Vice President Mike Pence says the U.S. is committed to keeping the option of meeting with the North Korean leader on the table.

“They asked for the meeting and we continue to be open to it,” Pence said, per the ABC News report. “But rest assured that the United States will continue on the path that we are on because this president has made it clear that we will not tolerate North Korea possessing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles that threaten the United States and our allies.”

BBC previously reported that Pence also cautioned Jong-Un not to “play” Trump:

US Vice-President Mike Pence has warned North Korea’s Kim Jong-un not to “play” President Donald Trump if they meet next month.

Mr Pence said in a Fox News interview that such a move would be a “great mistake” by the North Korean leader.

He also said there was “no question” that Mr Trump could walk away from the 12 June summit.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here