A California chef on the “tolerant Left” is warning prospective patrons to avoid coming into his restaurant wearing a “Make America Great Again” red cap.
If they do, the chef said he would refuse them service.
The Washington Examiner reports, “J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, the award-winning chef, cookbook author, and owner of a couple of restaurants south of San Francisco, claimed on social media over the weekend that the hats sold by President Trump’s campaign were linked with racial animus.”
The chef also reportedly compared the red hats, which were made famous during President Trump’s 2016 presidential election, to white KKK hoods.
“It hasn’t happened yet, but if you come to my restaurant wearing a MAGA cap, you aren’t getting served, same as if you come in wearing a swastika, white hood, or any other symbol of intolerance and hate,” Lopez-Alt reportedly wrote in a now-deleted thread on Twitter.
California chef: 'If you come to my restaurant wearing a MAGA cap, you aren’t getting served' https://t.co/NXJ0HOSxfi
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 1, 2019
“MAGA hats are like white hoods except stupider because you can see exactly who is wearing them,” he continued in the posts.
The Washington Examiner adds:
Lopez-Alt is not the first restaurateur to decline to serve Trump supporters. Last year White House press secretary Sarah Sanders was asked to leave the Red Hen in Lexington, Va., because of her role within the president’s administration.
“MAGA” caps have been in the spotlight in recent weeks after the viral encounter between Native American elder Nathan Phillips and Covington High School student Nick Sandmann, who was donning one of the hats. Initial reports based on a short video clip suggested Sandmann was being disrespectful toward Phillips, but longer videos of the encounter, showing Philips approaching Sandmann and fellow students, caused some who cast judgment to walk back their criticism.
Fox News reports the initial ban was met with mixed responses before it was ultimately deleted:
As expected, the award-winning cookbook author and restauranteur’s statement was met with a mixed response.
One diner, Ester Shek, who has been a fan since the restaurant opened in 2018, said she doesn’t think the ban is helpful.
“[The right] already feel like they’re being demonized by what they call the liberal elite. We shouldn’t add fire to that. Instead, it should be us creating a dialogue, leaving a space open to discuss the issues,” the 39-year-old told the Chronicle.
“You’re discriminating against those with different political views,” another customer told the Chronicle. “That’s just not OK.”
While the initial thread was deleted, a few of Lopez-Alt’s politically-charged tweets are below:
Note: The author of this article has included commentary that expresses an opinion and analysis of the facts.