Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital earlier this week according to a press release he sent out on Friday.
The Vermont senator reportedly withheld the information to his supporters for more than the two and a half days as this is the first press release he has sent out since his time at the Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center.
“I want to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff at the Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center for the excellent care that they provided. After two and a half days in the hospital, I feel great, and after taking a short time off, I look forward to getting back to work,” he said in the Friday press release. He echoed these remarks in a post on Twitter.
I want to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff at the Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center for the excellent care that they provided. After two and a half days in the hospital, I feel great, and after taking a short time off, I look forward to getting back to work. pic.twitter.com/HjBc9LPjo4
— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) October 4, 2019
In a video Sanders posted Friday evening, the candidate said he was “feeling so much better.”
Hello everybody! We’re in Las Vegas. I’m feeling so much better.
Thank you for all of the love and warm wishes that you sent me.
See you soon on the campaign trail. pic.twitter.com/nk3wWIAuE7
— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) October 5, 2019
NBC News reports:
The Vermont independent senator, 78, was hospitalized Tuesday after experiencing chest pains at a campaign stop in Nevada. He was treated for what his 2020 presidential campaign described at the time as a blockage in one artery.
But a statement from Sanders’ doctors released through the campaign on Friday said Sanders “was diagnosed with a myocardial infarction,” a medical term for a heart attack.
“The Senator was stable upon arrival and taken immediately to the cardiac catheterization laboratory, at which time two stents were placed in a blocked coronary artery in a timely fashion,” the doctors’ statement said. “All other arteries were normal.”
— Advertisement —
They said he’s made good progress in his recovery “and was discharged with instructions to follow up with his personal physician.”
Lets contextualize this a bit more: The 78-year old presidential candidate who raised more money than any other Democrat had a heart attack. And they didn’t tell supporters or anyone else for nearly three days. https://t.co/MxGiOu7t6p
— Ed O'Keefe (@edokeefe) October 4, 2019