President Trump will be re-elected on November 3, 2020, according to most participants of a new Monmouth University poll released this week.
Breitbart News reports a whopping 66 percent said Trump will “definitely” or “probably” win re-election in the survey, which took place between February 6-9. A mere 28 percent said the president would “definitely” or “probably” lose in the effort.
There was also a tremendous difference between Republicans and Democrats in the poll.
According to the report, 59 percent of Republicans said Trump’s victory was “definite” while 34 percent said it was “probable.” These figures combine for 93 percent of Republicans confident in Trump’s chances going into Election Day.
Democrats in the poll were not nearly as confident in their selection of candidates—as the primary process is not yet over. Only 11 percent said the eventual candidate would “definitely” beat Trump, while 44 percent said the candidate has a “probable” chance of winning.
Monmouth adds: “On the other side of the coin, 38% of Democrats actually think it is more likely than not that Trump will win a second term. Just 4% of Republicans think Trump will lose to the Democrat.”
Murray added that the chaotic Iowa caucuses “did not exactly inspire confidence in the party’s ability to find someone who can take on the president.”
The survey also found that more Americans are enthusiastic about this presidential election cycle than they were in 2016:
Currently, 39% of American voters say they feel more enthusiastic than usual about the 2020 election, 21% say they are less enthusiastic, and 40% say they feel about the same level of enthusiasm as they have in past elections. In August 2016, 21% were more enthusiastic, 46% less enthusiastic, and 31% about the same. All partisan groups feel more enthusiastic than they did four years ago, including Republicans (47% more enthusiastic now versus 32% in 2016), Democrats (36% now versus 20% in 2016), and independents (34% now versus 15% in 2016).
— Advertisement —
“Enthusiasm is up compared to 2016, but optimism has split along party lines. These conflicting findings in public opinion seem to reflect the muddled state of the race on the Democratic side right now,” said Murray.
The poll’s margin of error is +/- 3.4 percentage points.