BREAKING: Trump Announces White House Coronavirus Task Force Will Be Permanent

OPINION | This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

President Trump took to Twitter on Wednesday morning to confirm the Coronavirus Task Force would remain a permanent part of the administration.

In a series of tweets, Trump affirmed the job the team has done in relaying vital information to Americans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“The White House CoronaVirus Task Force, headed by Vice President Mike Pence, has done a fantastic job of bringing together vast highly complex resources that have set a high standard for others to follow in the future,” he tweeted. “Ventilators, which were few & in bad shape, are now being produced in the thousands, and we have many to spare.”

“We are helping other countries which are desperate for them. Likewise, after having been left little, we are now doing more testing than all other countries combined, and with superior tests. Face masks & shields, gloves, gowns etc. are now plentiful,” the president added.

Trump said because of this success, he would be permanently allowing the coronavirus task force to continue.

“The last four Governors teleconference calls have been conclusively strong. Because of this success, the Task Force will continue on indefinitely with its focus on SAFETY & OPENING UP OUR COUNTRY AGAIN,” he tweeted.

The president cautioned that its members could change to fit further needs: “We may add or subtract people to it, as appropriate.”

First on the agenda for the group is a cure to the coronavirus and vaccines for other diseases.

“The Task Force will also be very focused on Vaccines & Therapeutics. Thank you!” Trump concluded.

Check it out:

— Advertisement —

Trump’s announcement comes in response to some mainstream media reports that he would be winding down the task force.

Citing “two people familiar with the matter,” NBC News reported: “Trump’s coronavirus task force is in the early stages of winding down.”

And:

The meetings in the Situation Room of the White House have been shorter, and the task force no longer meets every day, according to the two people. Drs. Deborah Birx and Anthony Fauci are still expected to be at the White House daily, but other members of the task force may be present less frequently. However, two separate sources familiar with the matter noted that the task force met Tuesday.

NBC News later corrected their report, adding the president’s tweets.

Fox News reports the Trump administration had no plans to disbar the coronavirus task force but change its focus:

Democrats were quick to condemn the Trump administration Tuesday following comments from Vice President Mike Pence that the White House is in talks to potentially wind down its coronavirus task force, transferring its responsibilities to agencies like the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as early as Memorial Day or early June.

An official told Fox News that the members of the task force will continue to provide input, but the group will not be meeting as regularly as they had been at the outset of the pandemic. The official added that the White House’s focus was shifting toward vaccines, therapeutics, testing and reopening the economy.