President Trump is “doing very well,” according to U.S. Navy Commander and physician to the president Sean Conley.
After the president was transferred to Walter Reed Military Medical Center, Conley held a presser on Saturday afternoon to update the American public on his progress.
“At this time the team and I are extremely happy with the progress the president has made,” he said, noting the president has not been on a ventilator and has not needed oxygen at any point while he was admitted to the hospital.
Dr. Sean Conley, physician to the president: "At this time the team and I are extremely happy with the progress the president has made."
— ABC News (@ABC) October 3, 2020
“Thursday he had a mild cough and some nasal congestion and fatigue, all of which are now resolving and improving,” Conley added, explaining the president could remain in the hospital for up to five days.
The physician also shared that Trump no longer has a fever and is in good spirits.
Pressed on whether Pres. Trump has ever been on supplemental oxygen during his treatment, Dr. Sean Conley says "yesterday and today he was not on oxygen." https://t.co/10CqxgmXTe pic.twitter.com/niy0wBgbF9
— ABC News (@ABC) October 3, 2020
As Politico reports, Conley’s comments dispelled a statement from an anonymous White House source—that the president’s status was “very concerning”—which several outlets reported:
After Conley’s briefing, the White House press pool reporter conveyed a statement from “a source familiar with the president’s health” that appeared to explain why the president had been hospitalized if he had not been on supplemental oxygen.
“The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care,” the statement said. “We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”
At his briefing Conley revealed for the first time specifics on some of Trump’s vitals, noting that his blood pressure and heart rate were both within Trump’s normal range. Conley also said Trump’s oxygen saturation — the level of the gas in his blood — was 96 percent, squarely within the normal range.
— Advertisement —
Still, Conley was hesitant to indicate how soon the president might be discharged from the hospital.
“I don’t want to put a hard date on that,” he said.
CNN’s Jim Acosta shared the anonymous statement in a tweet: “Trump adviser said there is a reason for concern about Trump’s health tonight.”
“‘This is serious,’ the source said,” the CNN host claimed. “The source went on to describe Trump as very tired, very fatigued and having some trouble breathing. WH officials continue to say Trump will be fine.”
Trump adviser said there is reason for concern about Trump's health tonight. "This is serious," the source said. The source went on to describe Trump as very tired, very fatigued, and having some trouble breathing. WH officials continue to say Trump will be fine.
— Jim Acosta (@Acosta) October 2, 2020
I’m going to bet that not a single Editor at CNN knows who your “Trump Advisor” source is – because it absolutely isn’t a real Advisor with any knowledge.
This isn’t journalism. https://t.co/mOC3ca8Xw9
— Richard Grenell (@RichardGrenell) October 3, 2020
CBS News’ Sara Cook similarly reported that an individual at the White House told her outlet that the president’s condition was “very concerning.”
BREAKING: “The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care. We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”
–A source familiar with the President's health, to pool reporters
— Sara Cook (@saraecook) October 3, 2020
AFP also ran a story from the anonymous source:
— AFP news agency (@AFP) October 3, 2020
Chief White House Correspondent for Politico Ryan Lizza named the anonymous source as Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.
It was Mark Meadows. https://t.co/L3YuRn9tck
— Ryan Lizza (@RyanLizza) October 3, 2020