CONFIRMED: Hennerpin County Rules George Floyd’s Death Was, In Fact, A Homicide Hours After Independent Autopsy Contradicted Minneapolis Police

OPINION | This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner has released a new autopsy report that confirms George Floyd’s death was, in fact, a homicide.

According to the autopsy, Floyd died to “cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restrain, and neck compression.”

The report also recognized “other significant conditions.” NPR reports these conditions included: “fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use as well as existing heart disease.”

In the initial charging documents released to the public last week, an autopsy “revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation.”

This language was missing completely in the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s new report.

NPR reports the new autopsy was released just hours after the results of an autopsy commissioned by the Floyd family (conducted by an independent medical examiner) determined Floyd’s death was a homicide.

“The independent report concluded the 46-year-old black man was asphyxiated by white officer Derek Chauvin, who pinned him to the ground, pressing a knee into his neck for more than eight minutes while he was already restrained in handcuffs,” NPR reports.

Floyd family attorney Ben Crump shared the results of the family commissioned-autopsy and said: “George died because he needed a breath, a breath of air. For George Floyd, the ambulance was his hearse.”

The cause of death is important as it could ultimately allow the courts to determine how much responsibility former Officer Chauvin bears in Floyd’s death.

— Advertisement —

Should the death not be ruled a homicide, a first- or second-degree murder charge would be unlikely. Now that both medical examiners have ruled to be a homicide, NPR reports Chauvin is responsible for Floyd’s death:

The Minneapolis police officer was charged Friday with third-degree murder and manslaughter. Video of the incident shows Chauvin kneeled on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, as several other officers watched passively, without intervening, despite Floyd’s cries of “I can’t breathe.”

Floyd appears unresponsive for the last 2 minutes and 53 seconds of the footage.

Medical examiners Dr. Michael Baden and Dr. Allecia Wilson, who were hired by the family, said sustained pressure impeded blood flow to the brain and Chauvin’s weight on Floyd’s back impeded his ability to breathe.

“For Chauvin to leave his knee on George’s neck despite warnings and evidence that his life was in danger — and to continue that course for many minutes — demands a first-degree murder charge,” Crump said.

He added: “What we know is this: George Floyd was alive before his encounter with Derek Chauvin and fellow officers and he was dead shortly after that. The tragic cause of his death is incredibly clear.”

Check it out:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here