Police Captain Shot And Killed By Rioters, President Trump Gives Family America’s ‘Highest Respect’

OPINION | This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

David Dorn, a retired St. Louis City police captain, was shot and killed outside of a looted pawnshop in North City.

According to local CBS News affiliate KMOV4, the 77-year-old’s body was found just after 2:30 a.m. Martin Luther King Dr. and local police are offering a substantial reward for any information that would lead to the arrest of those responsible.

President Trump extended his condolences to Dorn’s family in a tweet where he said “despicable looters” were responsible.

Trump tweeted: “Our highest respect to the family of David Dorn, a Great Police Captain from St. Louis, who was viciously shot and killed by despicable looters last night. We honor our police officers, perhaps more than ever before. Thank you!”

KMOV4 reports Ethical Society of Police of St. Louis confirmed Dorn was a retired St. Louis City Captain.

“He was murdered by looters at a pawnshop. He was the type of brother that would’ve given his life to save them if he had to. Violence is not the answer, whether it’s a citizen or officer,” the group wrote.

St. Louis Police Chief John Hayden also confirmed Dorn was murdered while “exercising law enforcement training” amid the ongoing riots.

“David Dorn was a fine captain, many of us young officers looked up to him,” the chief said.

— Advertisement —

The report adds:

Dorn spent 38 years with the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department before becoming the police chief in Moline Acres. Those who worked with him in both police departments said they are heartbroken over his death and remember him with great respect.

Dorn joined the police academy in November 1969 and graduated in May 1970. He was assigned to Patrol Support when he retired from the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department in October 2007.

Dorn would help out the owners of Lee’s Pawn and Jewelry due to his extensive background in police work. When the business’ alarm would go off, Dorn would check it out. And that’s what he did early Tuesday morning before he was shot and killed.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here