Mainstream Media Left Out Major Detail In Rayshard Brooks Shooting: He Turned And Shot Officers With Taser

OPINION | This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

Mainstream media is leaving out a major detail in their coverage of Rayshard Brooks, the 27-year-old black man who was shot and killed at an Atlanta Wendy’s on Friday night.

As ABC News reports, police received complaints Brooks had fallen asleep in the restaurant’s drive-thru around 10:30 p.m. and two police officers showed up to respond to the call.

“After failing a field sobriety test, officers said they attempted to place him into custody. It was at that point, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, that Brooks resisted and a struggle ensued,” ABC News reported.

“Surveillance video from the restaurant shows that during a physical struggle with police, Brooks obtained one of the officer’s stun guns and began to flee, GBI said in a statement Saturday afternoon,” the report added.

The officers then shot and killed Brooks.

That’s the story mainstream media is reporting to people across the country still troubled by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Seeking to correct the record, Georgia Bureau of Investigations Director Vic Reynolds said while Brooks was fleeing, he turned around and shot at one of the officers with the stun gun he previously took from their possession. It was at this time that the officer pulled a handgun and shot Brooks.

“Video appears to show to the naked eye Brooks running away four, five, six, seven parking spaces before he appears to turn around and point a Taser at an officer,” Reynolds said in a statement on Saturday afternoon. “At that point the officer retrieves his weapon from his holster and discharges it, striking Brooks. This account has been corroborated by witness interviews.”

Below is one of the video Reynolds referenced in her statement:

— Advertisement —

ABC News adds:

The Atlanta Police Department identified the two officers involved in the incident as David Bronsan and Garret Rolfe. Officer Bronsan has now been placed on administrative duty and Officer Rolfe has been terminated.

David Bronsan has worked for the Atlanta Police Department since 2018 and Garrett Rolfe was a seven year veteran of the force having worked for them since 2013.


Just hours after the shooting, Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields submitted her resignation to Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms. Shields had led the department since December 2016.

“Chief Erika Shields has been a solid member of APD for over two decades, and has a deep and abiding love for the people of Atlanta,” Bottoms said in a statement. “And because of her desire that Atlanta be a model of what meaningful reform should look like across this country Chief Shields has offered to immediately step aside as Police Chief so that the city may move forward with urgency and rebuilding the trust so desperately needed throughout our communities.”


  1. I’ve been exploring for a little for any high
    quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of
    house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.
    Studying this info So i’m satisfied to exhibit that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny
    feeling I came upon just what I needed. I such a lot undoubtedly will
    make certain to do not put out of your mind this web site and provides it
    a glance on a constant basis.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here