Suspect IDENTIFIED After Shooting 2 Police Officers In Louisville After Breonna Taylor Verdict

OPINION | Views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those held by Sarah Palin.

On Wednesday afternoon, Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced none of the officers involved in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor would be charged with her death.

Then all hell broke loose.

Fox News reports protesters took to the streets, a riot was declared, businesses were looted, and a pair of pawnshops were destroyed.

Some of these protesters specifically targetted their own local police officers in retaliation, as two officers were shot, one officer was struck in the head with a metal bat, and another group of officers had a Molotov cocktail thrown at them.

Fox News reports Louisville and Interim Louisville Metro Police Department Chief Robert Schroeder announced the two officers and were receiving medical treatment for their injuries.

“One is alert and stable, the other officer is currently undergoing surgery and stable,” Schroeder said, saying at least one person was arrested in connection to the shootings.

Fox News reports one suspect, 26-year-old Larynzo Johnson, had been arrested and charged with “wanton endangerment and assault of a police officer.”

“I am very concerned about the safety of our officers,” Schroeder said to a group of reporters. “I think the safety of our officers and the community we serve is of utmost importance.”

In a tweet, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer confirmed that the officers had been shot.

— Advertisement —

“Our hearts go out to the two @LMPD officers who were shot. Please pray for them and their families, & pray for our city, and all who are in pain today. For anyone who is still out, please go home tonight,” he said.

“Violence doesn’t get us closer to a fair, just and equitable city,” he added.

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear posted a video attributing the violence to one individual and said most of the people protesting were “mostly peaceful.”

He also asked that people go home, stopping their protests, to avoid further violence.

As Fox News reports, nearly 100 people had been arrested in the aftermath of the verdict.

From the report:

Shots rang out when Louisville police officers were conducting crowd control operations at Broadway and Brook Street “in response to a large crowd that had set fires, caused property damage and failed to disperse after being warned,” according to the post-arrest complaint filed in Jefferson County.

Johnson “intentionally used a handgun to fire multiple bullets at officers” addressing the crowd, the complaint said. Two officers were struck by bullets causing serious physical injury. Police said witnesses spotted Johnson firing a handgun at officers and running from the scene.

The complaint said he was also in possession of a handgun at the time of his arrest and law enforcement recovered video of the shooting showing the suspect fire at officers.

A police statement first obtained by the Associated Press said some people were arrested in Louisville, Ky., after damaging businesses and more were detained after jumping on city vehicles being used as barricades. Later, protesters who refused orders to disperse were arrested for curfew and unlawful assembly violations.

Both President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden addressed the violence.

Trump tweeted on Wednesday evening that he was praying for the victims.

“Praying for the two police officers that were shot tonight in Louisville, Kentucky. The Federal Government stands behind you and is ready to help,” he said in a tweet.

“Spoke to @GovAndyBeshear and we are prepared to work together, immediately upon request!” he added.

Bident tweeted: “Even amidst the profound grief & anger today’s decision generated, violence is never & can never be the answer. Those who engage in it must be held accountable. Jill & I are keeping the officers shot tonight in Louisville in our prayers. We wish them both a swift & full recovery.”