Chris Harrison, “The Bachelor,” plans to return as a host on the ABC network, according to Fox News.
“I am an imperfect man. I made a mistake and I own that. I believe that mistake doesn’t reflect who I am or what I stand for. I am committed to the progress, not just for myself, also for the franchise,” Harrison said.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) March 3, 2021
Antebellum parties “are not ok [in the] past, present, future.”
“Knowing what that represents is unacceptable,” Harrison added.
“I am saddened and shocked at how insensitive I was in that interview with Rachel Lindsay and I didn’t speak from my heart and that is to say I stand against all forms of racism and I am deeply sorry. I’m sorry to Rachel Lindsay and I’m sorry to the Black community,” Harrison added.
“I want to do so again,” Harrison said referring to another apology towards Lindsay. “To anyone who is throwing hate towards Rachel Lindsay, please stop. It is unacceptable.”
“I am not a victim here. I made a mistake and I own that. Racism, oppression, these are big, dynamic problems and they take serious work and I am committed to that work,” Harrison said.
Harrison has since spoken with “race educator and strategist” as well as Dr. Michael Eric Dyson.
“Dr. Dyson often talks to me about counsel not cancel, and that is full accountability,” he said.
“Understanding what you didn’t understand, owning that, learning from that, seeking counsel often in the community that you hurt, learning from them, listening, gaining experience, knowledge and moving forward.”
“I plan to be back and I want to be back. This interview is not the finish line. There is much more work to be done and I am excited to be a part of that change,” Harrison said.
Strahan expressed concern regarding Harrisons statements suggesting that they were possibly not so heartfelt.
“I felt like I got nothing more than a surface response on any of this,” Strahan said. “Only time will tell if there is any meaning behind his words.”
Shortly afterward Strahan apologized on Instagram.
“I have spent the last few days listening to the pain my words have caused, and I am deeply remorseful. My ignorance did damage to my friends, colleagues and strangers alike. I have no one to blame but myself for what I said and the way I spoke.”
“I set standards for myself, and have not met them. I feel that with every fiber of my being. Now, just as I taught my children to stand up, and to own their actions, I will do the same. By excusing historical racism, I defended it. I invoked the term ‘woke police,’ which is unacceptable. I am ashamed over how uninformed I was. I was so wrong.”
From Fox News:
In the “Extra” interview last month, Harrison and Lindsay debated the gravity of Kirkconnell’s photos, and during the conversation, he asked for “a little grace, a little understanding, a little compassion” for the contestant and implied that many people went to such parties celebrating the “Old South” in 2018.
Shortly after he took to Instagram with an apology.
The network has announced that author and TV personality Emmanuel Acho will take over hosting duties for the time being. It is unclear when Harrison will return and whether he will return to any “Bachelor” spin-offs — which include “The Bachelorette,” “Bachelor in Paradise” and “The Bachelor Presents: Listen to Your Heart.”